Find out how to make your very own all-natural toasted muesli. Once you see how easy it is, you won’t want to buy from the shops again!
I love muesli with yoghurt and fresh fruit in the morning but all the good quality and not too sugary muesli from the supermarket or health food stores can be quite expensive. That’s why making your own muesli is such a good way to save money. Plus, you know exactly what’s in it and you control the amount of sugar you put in it.
We all know how important breakfast is, especially for children. A good quality muesli that’s nourishing and sustaining is a great way to start the day.
I’d been buying muesli for years and never thought of making my own until my mother-in-law made some for us. We loved it so much we had it everyday until the lovely glass jar she gave us was empty. Let me tell you, I haven’t bought muesli since. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
• 4 cups rolled oats
• 3 cups bran
• 1 cup shredded coconut
• 1 cup almond or mixed nuts roughly chopped
• 1 cup of sesame seeds
• 1 cup sunflower seeds
• 1 cup linseed
• 1 cup honey
• 1/2 cup canola or coconut oil
• 75g (3oz) sultanas 1/4 cup
• 75g (3oz) dried apricots, roughly chopped 1/4 cup
• 75g (3oz) dried apples 1/4 cup
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 356 F, gas. Line two trays with baking paper.
2. Combine honey and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
3. Mix together the oats, nuts and seeds in a large bowl. Drizzle over the honey and oil mixture and mix well.
4. Place the trays in the preheated oven and cook the granola muesli for 30-35 minutes or until golden, stirring every 10 min.
5. Remove from oven add the dried fruit and mix through. Leave to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Serve with Greek or goat’s yogurt and a drizzle of honey and fresh berries.